• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sergio Romo Jersey
In which I go out on the usual limb to pick this year’s order of finish and playoff results."Today I will join thousands of otherbloggers Sergio Romo Jersey , websites, pundits, etc. in making my so-called “expert” predictions for the upcoming season. If you have been here for the last 14 years, you’ll find this prediction format familiar — and yes, you’ll find most of this text familiar too (copy/paste being a useful tool). For those of you new to BCB, read on.I started this format more than 25 years ago, when I was passing out my annual predictions to any of my friends who were willing to read themeither with or without scoffing, because I found this method both more interesting and challenging to do than traditional predictions. Even more so, if you’re here I don’t need to insult your intelligence by telling you who the ballclubs’ best hitters, pitchers, etc. are. You already know. Instead, you’ll find a pithy word or phrase describing the hitting, pitching, defense and intangibles of the 30 contenders for October glory.I’m also not going to “predict” award winners. How hard would it be for me to sit here clacking away on a keyboard and be master of the obvious by telling you that Mike Trout is a top choice to win another A.L. MVP Award, that Kris Bryant could contend for another N.L. MVP (he will, you know) or that Jacob deGrom has an excellent chance to take the N.L. Cy Young? Just before the 2018 season started, would you have predicted that Brian Snitker would be N.L. Manager of the Year? Last March, did you predict Blake Snell would win the 2018 A.L. Cy Young Award? (No. No, you did not. Neither did MLB.com, USA Today, Sporting News or ESPN. Not a single mention of Snell anywhere in those.)And in any case, anyone using the search function here http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authentic-evan-longoria-jersey , or Google, can come back here in October and tell me how wrong I was. I got seven of the 10 postseason teams right last year, but I whiffed on the Red Sox, having them as a wild card instead of the 108-win juggernaut they were, and I had the Twins and Diamondbacks as wild-card teams. Uh, nope on those. But then, almost no one had the 2018 Athletics and Braves as postseason teams, but there they were, and there likely will be a surprise team or two this year as well. (I missed badly on the 2018 A’s, picking them for last place in the A.L. West, but I wasn’t the only one to do that, either.)I did call for Rays righthander Chris Archer to be traded at the deadline, and that happened even though the Rays were still in wild-card contention.Without further ado, my picks for 2019!NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST1) PHILADELPHIA PHILLIESHitting: Bryce Harper! (And others)Pitching: SolidDefense: Uh...Intangibles: Bryce Harper!2) ATLANTA BRAVES (1st wild card)Hitting: Young, but really goodPitching: InjuredDefense: ExcellentIntangibles: Can they defend their surprise division title?3) WASHINGTON NATIONALSHitting: Better than you thinkPitching: Maybe the best in the divisionDefense: Next question?Intangibles: What does Harper leaving do to them?4) NEW YORK METS Hitting: QuestionablePitching: ExcellentDefense: GoodIntangibles: Fourth place could be over .500 in this division5) MIAMI MARLINSHitting: Who...Pitching: ... are ...Defense: ... these guys?Intangibles: 100 losses, here they comeNATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL1) CHICAGO CUBSHitting: Returning ...Pitching: ... from injury and ...Defense: ... solidIntangibles: Have a chip on their shoulder after last year2) MILWAUKEE BREWERS (2nd wild card)Hitting: Good, but not THAT goodPitching: Good, but not THAT good Defense: Good, but... well, no, not really that goodIntangibles: Will be hard to replicate last year’s perfect storm3) ST. LOUIS CARDINALSHitting: Terrifying (to Cubs pitchers, at least)Pitching: RevampedDefense: IffyIntangibles: Mike Shildt gets a full year to put his stamp on this team4) CINCINNATI REDSHitting: Puig your Reds friend!Pitching: Much improvedDefense: AverageIntangibles: They either contend http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authentic-evan-longoria-jersey , or there will be lots of trades in July5) PITTSBURGH PIRATESHitting: 炉\_(銉?_/炉Pitching: DecentDefense: OkayIntangibles: Can you figure this team out? I can’tNATIONAL LEAGUE WEST1) LOS ANGELES DODGERSHitting: ReturningPitching: The 10-day IL is their friendDefense: Good enoughIntangibles: They’ll need some luck to hold off the Rox2) COLORADO ROCKIES Hitting: Always good in that parkPitching: Better than you thinkDefense: AverageIntangibles: The pitching, oddly enough, will carry them3) ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS Hitting: NewPitching: NewDefense: NewIntangibles: They think they’re a contender. (Hint: No, especially after losing Steven Souza Jr. for the year with an unnecessary injury.)4) SAN FRANCISCO GIANTSHitting: Infield, old. Outfield, youngPitching: Perhaps about to be tradedDefense: Very goodIntangibles: Bruce Bochy’s last year5) SAN DIEGO PADRESHitting: Manny Machado!Pitching: Who ARE these guys?Defense: Manny Machado!Intangibles: Manny Machado!AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST1) NEW YORK YANKEESHitting: Solid everywherePitching: Still some question marksDefense: DecentIntangibles: They’re the Yankees2) BOSTON RED SOX (1st wild card)Hitting: OutstandingPitching: ExcellentDefense: Very goodIntangibles: They could win 100 games and finish second3) TAMPA BAY RAYSHitting: Much better...Pitching: ... than ...Defense: ... you think!Intangibles: Somehow, always seem to find a way to win4) TORONTO BLUE JAYSHitting: MiscellaneousPitching: Likely traded at the deadlineDefense: SolidIntangibles: They need a rebuild5) BALTIMORE ORIOLESHitting: AwfulPitching: AwfulDefense: Not awful, but it doesn’t matterIntangibles: Cannot possibly be worse than last yearAMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL1) CLEVELAND INDIANSHitting: RevampedPitching: NewDefense: Very goodIntangibles: They now have Bauer and Bauers. Confusing!2) MINNESOTA TWINSHitting: RevisedPitching: Better than you thinkDefense: YesIntangibles: Moving on from Mauer3) CHICAGO WHITE SOXHitting: Pretty decentPitching: MiddlingDefense: Very goodIntangibles: Eloy‘s coming4) KANSAS CITY ROYALSHitting: RebuildingPitching: RebuildingDefense: RebuildingIntangibles: Fighting it out with the Tigers for last place5) DETROIT TIGERSHitting: RebuildingPitching: RebuildingDefense: RebuildingIntangibles: Fighting it out with the Royals for last placeAMERICAN LEAGUE WEST1) HOUSTON ASTROSHitting: OutstandingPitching: OutstandingDefense: OutstandingIntangibles: If not for the A’s, would win this division by 20 games2) OAKLAND ATHLETICS (2nd wild card)Hitting: Lots of home runs! Fun!Pitching: Up in the airDefense: Yes, they have oneIntangibles: Surprise team of 2018. Can they do it again?3) SEATTLE MARINERSHitting: A bunch of guys who weren’t there last yearPitching: RevampedDefense: GoodIntangibles: Ichiro’s farewell might be their high point4) LOS ANGELES ANGELSHitting: Mike Trout is an Angel for lifePitching: Next question?Defense: ExcellentIntangibles: Three more years of Albert Pujols drag them down5) TEXAS RANGERSHitting: OMG the strikeoutsPitching: Well, they have someDefense: Good enoughIntangibles: 炉\_(銉?_/炉Postseason predictionsWild-card games: Braves over Brewers (NL), Red Sox over Athletics (AL)Division series: Cubs over Braves, Phillies over Dodgers (NL). Red Sox over Yankees, Astros over Indians (AL)Championship series: Cubs over Phillies (NL), Red Sox over Astros (AL)World Series: The Cubs win their second WS title in four seasons over Theo Epstein’s old team in six games. Washington Nationals (9-10, fourth in the NL East) vs. Miami Marlins (6-15, fifth in the NL East)Miami; Sunday, 1 p.m. EDTPITCHING PROBABLES: Nationals: Stephen Strasburg (1-1, 5.56 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 28 strikeouts) Marlins: Trevor Richards (1-2, 3.57 ERA http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authentic-evan-longoria-jersey , 1.10 WHIP, 21 strikeouts)LINE: Nationals favored by 1 1/2 runs; over/under is 7 1/2 runsBOTTOM LINE: Miami can secure a series sweep over Washington with a win.The Marlins are 4-7 against NL East opponents. The Miami pitching staff has a team ERA of 4.67, Caleb Smith leads the staff with a mark of 2.35.The Nationals are 6-7 in division matchups. The Washington offense has compiled a .261 batting average as a team this season, good for eighth in the National League. Anthony Rendon leads the team with an average of .371. The Marlins won the last meeting 9-3. Jose Urena secured his first victory and Curtis Granderson went 2-for-3 with a home run and two RBIs for Miami. Max Scherzer registered his third loss for Washington.TOP PERFORMERS: Starlin Castro leads the Marlins with 20 hits and has six RBIs. Austin Dean is 5-for-22 with a double, a triple, a home run and six RBIs over the last 10 games for Miami.Rendon leads the Nationals with six home runs and has 18 RBIs. Matt Adams is 7-for-23 with three doubles, two home runs and 10 RBIs over the last 10 games for Washington.LAST 10 GAMES: Marlins: 3-7, .212 batting average, 4.16 ERA, outscored by 17 runsNationals: 5-5, .281 batting average, 4.40 ERA, outscored opponents by nine runsMarlins Injuries: Riley Ferrell: 60-day IL (bicep), Julian Fernandez: 60-day IL (elbow), Austin Brice: 10-day IL (gastroenteritis), Garrett Cooper: 10-day IL (calf).Nationals Injuries: Austen Williams: 10-day IL (shoulder), Justin Miller: 10-day IL (back), Koda Glover: 10-day IL (forearm), Trea Turner: 10-day IL (finger), Anthony Rendon: day-to-day (elbow).